The two biggest mobile app stores (Google & Apple) are horribly, painfully flawed. Is it deliberate or negligent, or some mix of the two?
Both mobile app stores need:
- a method of filtering out junk apps,
- a method of filtering out specific developers,
- better review methods, and perhaps showing app ratings from respected review sites,
- an expanded wishlist where users can leave comments & notes,
- a method of denying certain apps unnecessary permissions while still allowing use,
- a variety of methods for users to evaluate apps, share those evaluations, and annotate their experiences to the community (*without being forced to go to the devs forum*)
- a simple method to block foolish reviewers, spam reviewers, and trolls,
- enhanced search so users can find specific apps with specific features & functionality.
It seems like an opportunity for another developer to disrupt by creatimg an alternative app store interface, monetizing it with subtle ads, and building a strong user community.
AppZapp did this for IOS, although I've been Android for awhile now so I haven't followed their progress -- but I was very disappointed with their Android version.
If anyone can recommend a great appstore alternative, please post a comment!